Ray and Randy Pekowski flank the 2013 SMOTY winners, from left, Cheretta Clerkley, Patricia Whitaker, Christy Jacobs, Colette Fairchild and Shannon Burke.
Winners from five show-size categories took to the stage to receive recognition not always given to the outstanding human beings who work behind the scenes to make it happen. Anyone wishing to honor one of the 2013 SMOTY winners should consider making a donation on their behalf to the charity of their choice, matching the $500 made by The Expo Group as part of the awards program.
• Tier I, 150 booths or less: Cheretta Clerkley, MBA, CASE, Director of Marketing and Corporate Relations for the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Children’s Hospital Foundation
• Tier II, 151-300 booths: Shannon Burke, CMP, Director of Conference and Meetings, National Association for College Admission Counseling, American Cancer Society
• Tier III, 301-700 booths: Christy Jacobs, Vice President of Sales, International Association of Venue Managers, St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital
• Tier IV, 701-1,500 booths: Colette Fairchild, CEM, CMP, Trade Show Director, H.H. Backer Associates, Wounded Warrior
• Tier V, More than 1,500 booths: Patricia Whitaker, Exhibits Manager, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Nancy Davis Foundation for Multiple Sclerosis
The SMOTY Awards, created in 2000, are judged annually by an independent panel based on submissions from colleagues, bosses, exhibitors and suppliers . Awards are open to the entire industry regardless of any association membership and certainly not limited to the company’s clientele. The SMOTYs will continue to honor those who have great new ideas and carry them through, those who demonstrate creativity in problem solving or even decorating, those who pay attention to the little details that make shows a success, and those who practice The Expo Group’s own philosophy of providing premier customer service.
More information about the 2013 winners can be found here. Submissions for the 2014 awards will be accepted early next year.