The Expo Group joins the pledge for a Net Zero Carbon footprint.
Our world is fragile, and we are committed to taking every step necessary to prevent harming the Earth. That’s why The Expo Group has joined with industry leaders such as PCMA and over 120 other partners to join the pledge for a Net Zero Carbon footprint.
With the launch of the Net Zero Carbon Events Pledge on November 10th, 2021 during the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow, Scotland, a wide-ranging network of global events industry players has united to fight climate change with the ultimate goal of eliminating the industry’s greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
A broad collaboration, hosted by the Joint Meetings Industry Council (JMIC) with the support of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), developed the pledge over several months.
The Expo Group President and COO Randy Pekowski commented “The Expo Group is proud to join other event industry leaders in the pledge to ultimately eliminate greenhouse gas emissions. We already have instigated several programs to support this pledge and look forward to aggressively doing our part to reach a sustainable future for generations led by the events industry.”
Towards this effort The Expo Group and other pledge members commit to:
- Before the end of 2023, publish their organization’s pathway to achieve net zero by 2050 at the latest, with an interim target in line with the Paris Agreement’s requirement to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions by 50 percent by 2030.
- Collaborate with partners, suppliers, and customers to drive change across the value chain.
- Measure and track Scope 1, 2, and 3 greenhouse gas emissions according to industry best practice.
- Report on progress at least every two years.
Today, The Expo Group has already implemented multiple initiatives to support reductions in greenhouse emissions including:
With our contracted services offerings:
- No shipping options
- Digital graphics with zero footprint
- Reusable/sustainable materials to ensure no waste
- Streamlined processes design to minimize materials and waste
- Standardized furnishings and prices
- Rent vs. buy Exhibits
- Controlled material handling
- Reusable registrations kiosks
Our Packaging Plans (versus ala Carte) include:
- Less shipping where applicable
- Rent vs. buy options for Carpet, Furnishings and Exhibits
- GBAC cleaning materials
- More efficient models resulting in less waste
The Expo Group will continue to provide updates on our commitments to meet the industry pledge as we drive toward the Net Zero Carbon commitment.
The full pledge and list of signatories can be found at netzerocarbonevents.org/the-pledge/.